Friday, November 14, 2014

Family Movie Night: Big Hero 6

via Disney.com.my
We just came home from watching Big Hero 6 at the cinema....and I was really excited to watch this with the girls, and after 102 minutes, I kinda have mixed feelings towards Big Hero 6.

The girls were so excited while waiting for the hall to open. Thank God it's a neighbourhood cinema, so they can run all the want without getting lost in the crowd.  That's it girls, run now, sleep later. muahahaha
Gotta have a pic with Baymax. Family movie night attire: PJs and sweaters for the cold cinema.



Half the excitement from watching a movie at the cinema compared to at home is watching the new movie trailers coming out. I know, I know, I can watch trailers on YouTube but it's just different you know. So imagine my annoyance when we were early (for once!) to the cinema, and the trailers were already playing by the time we get to the cinema hall. .... and it was of the Madagascar's Penguins. *sad face. Bad start here.

So excited, I was taking photos of billboards on the way home from work
*as a passenger.
Fine. Let's just enjoy the movie then. Like all cartoons nowadays, Big Hero 6 hits it big for kids AND adults. But I personally feel adults and older kids have a better understanding on the humour presented in this movie. Baymax, the robot certainly is lovable and cute, especially before he got armours. But the movie itself...lacks the personality to engage. I want to love it, but I just feel... meh. So much meh on the end half of the movie (...except for Fred. Fred makes me laugh. I want to have a friend like Fred. Be my Fred!)

Visually though, stunning. No dissapointments there.
via Disney.com.my
It felt quite draggy at times. Was that just me? Maybe it needed musical numbers like FROZEN! hehe but honestly...though as a mother of two girls, having Frozen on a loop on the Tv is the norm but I think I would prefer it than having Big Hero 6 on a loop. 

So should you bring your kids to see Big Hero 6?

My girls in their PJs for Big Hero 6 movie night.
PP willing to pose, Bambam....not so much. Busy watching the movie already
If your kid, regardless of gender, like action cartoons. Maybe they would enjoy the movie. 
Especially if you are parents to boys it would a different matter coz this movie have lots of actions! fights! karate chops! LASERS! 

The two female role models for the girls; Honey Lemon and Go Go Tomago
via Disney.com.my

It is also good for little girls to see bad a** female scientists/engineers/nerds as heros.

My kids, clearly got doesn't care enough about the movie and fell asleep halfway...just after Baymax started wearing an armour because he became not-so-cute anymore. 

Not so cute Baymax with armour on.
via Disney.com.my
....aaaaaaand personally i think because there were not enough sparkles and glitters. My girls are princesses. I have to deal with that.
They did like the fist bump scenes in the movie though..maybe because I do fist bumps with them. I foresee an evolution to our fist bumping!!!

Other than that, you have to consider one big factor about the movie.
It can be depressing and dark especially for younger kids. As I said...not enough sparkles and glitters. Lots of tears. sad sad moments.

**INCOMING! SPOILER ALERT!**

In Frozen, we see Anna and Elsa's parents being lost at sea, as a big wave crashes on top of their ship.... *sniff sniff I still get teary eyes when I watch that scene over and over again*.

Big Hero 6 is not just about a cute huggable marshmallow looking robot, it also deals with a lot of issues of loss and death. Like, a lot. 
First, PP was asking about Hiro's parents. She asked if Hiro's brother is the dad, and when I said thats the brother, she asked again, where are the parents? What happened to them? Why did they die? Why do they live with their aunt? Then....

****BIG SPOILER ALERT, WARNING**** 
....Hiro's big brother died.  The questions came again. What happened to the brother? Why did he die? Why did he have to die? Why is fire dangerous? Did the fire kill him? Is he really dead? Why is he dead? ....... Yes. LOTS of questions which i had to answer as quietly and as short as possible, in the cinema. WHILE the movie was playing....DURING the sad scenes. Mummy is trying to get emotional here, you're a buzz killer PP with your loaded questions on death. :P

If PP was awake the other half of the movie, she would have asked a LOT more about loss and death...because there were more sad sad sad scenes. and kinda violent scene.

So when bringing your kids to watch this movie, have a game plan on how to answers all this beforehand. Or you would be wishing you could have just waited for the DVD to come out instead. 

Still love Fred though.
via Disney.com.my 


No comments: